Saturday, October 30, 2010

Dome Electronics

Today was spent making an electrical panel for the dome.  I used a piece of 1/4" ABS.  I really am starting to like the ABS, it looks good, cuts easily on my bandsaw, drills perfectly, and won't short out components that accidentally touch it.  I thought for a long time about how to clip in the wires coming from the slipring so they wouldn't hang up on something but finally realized that a simple slot would do the trick.  I slotted the panel and then faced the board and DB plug the opposite way so when the connector is plugged in the wire will not come out of the slot.  This is very simple and easy to hook up from underneath, very important as I plan on removing the dome for transport.

This is a view of the slipring and slot taken through the rear door.  Easy to see the slot in this view.

Close up of the board, cable hood and wire.  The slot is harder to see in this view but you can get the idea.  Later I'll drill some holes in the ABS to run small black tiewraps through to secure the wiring.



No comments:

Post a Comment