Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Electronics

Started working on some of the electronics today.  I assembled the slip ring connector boards and soldered all 24 leads from the slipring to the board.  The slipring rotates 360 degrees and will carry all the power and signals to the dome.  It allows for a quick disconnect so I can remove the dome for transport and maintainence.

Soldering the slipring wires into the 25 pin connectors.

Testing each lead with a continuity tester.  Better now than when installed (I speak from experience!).

Completed slipring boards and wiring.  This will give me 12 volts, 5.5 volts and 16 data leads into the dome which should be plenty for what I am planning.  I also plan a second dome with different features so this will make it easy to change the dome.

Finally I added some spiral wrap to the wires and a hood to the plug.  One hood is removed in this picture so the 25 pin plug will fit through the slipring mounting hole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment