Thursday, August 12, 2010

Center Ankle

My R2 is going to be quite heavy and I have and early version aluminum ankle which I have heard may bend in this type of use.  I thought about ways to reinforce it and finally decided to use some 1/4" aircraft plywood.  I made a center core of 3 layers and a crosspiece of 1 layer that notches over this.

Here is the finished part showing how it will fit into the ankle.  It is a nice tight fit and fills the entire bottom of the ankle.

This shows the installed part (before gluing).  It rests snugly against both sides and will also rest against the ankle mount on the body.  After this picture I coated it with JB Weld and fitted it tightly in the ankle - the JB weld will fill any gaps left around the bottom bushing.  This should do the trick and the ankle feels very solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment